This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BlissfulMoments #CollectiveBias
Between my full-time job as a teacher, trying to turn my blog into a full-time job, parenting a two-year old, and squeezing time in with my husband, I just don’t have much time for myself. I feel like any free time I have at all gets quickly snatched away by one of the zillion things I need to take care of. Sometimes I get so frustrated by the lack of time I have to spend on nothing but myself.
Over the last few weeks, life has been particularly crazy and I’ve been trying to find more and more ways that I can sneak in some me-time and indulge myself a little bit. Sometimes that means hiding in my bedroom while Corey takes care of Jackson, and sometimes it means waiting until after Jackson is in bed to relax. Either way, I’m trying to be more intentional about taking care of myself because it’s so important.
Here are nine ideas for how you can sneak in a quick blissful moment all to yourself when you’re feeling overwhelmed:
1. Go for a run. I never want to do this in the moment, but I also never regret it if I do! When my head is feeling really cluttered and I just can’t handle one more minute, it can be so helpful to lace up my running shoes and just get out of the house. I haven’t been doing this one nearly as much as I should lately, but when I do it never fails to work. I come back feeling happy, relaxed, and like me again!
2. Pamper yourself. If all I have to myself is a quick 15 minutes, I’ll run to the bathroom, lock the door, and paint my nails. Sometimes that’s all it takes to give me a quick re-set, get me feeling good about myself, and allow me to relax a bit.
3. Get Crafty! One of my favorite ways to relax and take care of myself is to stretch my creativity and try something new. I’ve tried my hand at sewing, I love to color in my adult coloring books, and I’m strongly considering taking up knitting. Just choose something that you can immerse yourself in that produces a beautiful result and dive in!
4. Indulge in something sweet. I have a major sweet tooth and there is absolutely nothing in this world that is better than something full of chocolate and calories to spoil myself. Lately my favorite snack has been these Betty Crocker™ Sweet Rewards Bars. I like the chocolate chip cookie ones, and Corey likes to steal the brownie ones. Bonus points if you’ve got a cute dog to snuggle with while you enjoy yourself!
It took me some effort to find them at Walmart, so I’ll give you a hint: check the cereal aisle! That’s where I found mine, and it’s a dangerous spot because now I can’t resist them every time I walk through that aisle to get my cereal.
5. Cross something off your to-do list. I know, I know. The last thing you want to do when you’re trying to engage in a blissful, relaxing moment is to do something productive. But hear me out – these are the moments where you can do something that no one but you cares about. Recently, for example, I found myself in a moment where Jackson and Corey were playing together happily and I wasn’t busy…so I ran upstairs and started cleaning out my closet and pulling my clothes out for spring. It was so exciting to finally cross something off my list that I’ve been wanting to do for a few weeks now, and I was practically giddy once I was finished. Sometimes it just feels good to get something done.
6. One word: Netflix. When I’m too tired to think but I really need some downtime, I’ll crash on the couch and find something mindless to watch on television. Bonus points if it’s also completely ridiculous (a la the Kardashians).
7. Spend time with a friend (even if it’s virtual). My best friend lives two hours away from me, so we don’t see each other very often. We stay in touch by texting and calling each other regularly, but that’s really just not enough. So we decided to set a weekly Skype date to watch The Bachelor together. Every Wednesday night when our kids are in bed, we call each other and spend a couple of hours chatting, giggling, and indulging in the drama on one of our favorite shows. It’s been such a fabulous way to connect with her, and it satisfies some serious “me time” cravings. Once again, the dog helps.
8. Play a game with your partner. This is a favorite in our house! Corey and I love to connect over a good board game, and we try to have game nights at least once a week or so. I always leave a game night with my husband feeling more relaxed, more like myself, and like I’ve just done something special.
9. Curl up with a good book. Reading is my number one way to relax. I very rarely find the time for it, but when I do I always walk away feeling refreshed. I’ve started to read e-books much more regularly, so I’m even able to pull up a current book on my phone and sneak in a few pages when I’m out and about. Having my books “with me” at all times has helped me find more and more time to read, and in turn makes me more and more relaxed!
* * * * * * * * *
I know that for me, it’s so hard to take time to myself to relax, indulge, and bask in a blissful moment that I don’t have to share with anyone else. However, I’ve learned that it’s so important to make room for these things and really focus on finding small pockets of time where you can treat yourself a bit.
My sweet tooth and I are really loving that these Betty Crocker Sweet Rewards Bars are a little slice of heaven that can be enjoyed in the few brief moments I have. What are your favorite ways to indulge when you have a few moments to yourself?