Oh summer. It’s here! I can’t even believe that this absolutely insane year is over and it’s time for some R&R at home with my family. I took a (totally unplanned) hiatus from all things creative the last few months (which obviously included this blog) and I am oh so ready to stretch my creativity muscles and get back to doing some stuff around the house.
So, now that it’s summer and I’m actually going to have time to do things I enjoy, I decided it was high time for another summer bucket list. I’m doing two separate lists this year…one for family stuff that involves Jackson, and a separate list that focuses just on me and things I want to do. I feel like most of the time now I spend so much time focusing on the family and doing things altogether that I don’t take care of my own interests and hobbies…and it’s time to fix that!
But before we get to that, there are some things that I want to do with our family this summer…and if I write ’em down they’re more likely to happen. So, here we go!
1. Water, water, water! Jackson is obsessed with spending time outside and playing in water, and he hasn’t had much of a chance at all since last summer. Now that he’s totally mobile and constantly on the move, I think that spending time at the pool and at splash pads will be even more fun for him. We’ve got several fun splash pads in the area and we love our local pool, and I’m ready to get out there and start enjoying them!
2. Go on a family trip. This one is already booked and officially happening, and I can’t wait! We wanted to go on a cruise with the rest of my family but that’s unfortunately not in the cards for us this year, so we planned a mini vacation that’s just a couple of hours away. We’ve already booked the hotel and made plans for a quick three-day getaway, and I’m excited for our first official family vacation. It’s nothing fancy, but it’ll be a blast to get out and do something special, and I’m thrilled we’re getting to do at least something.
3. Get Jackson down to one nap. A less fun goal, but an important one nonetheless. Jackson’s new class at daycare in the fall only takes one nap a day and he’s getting close to the age of needing to drop his morning nap, anyways. So, over the next few weeks we’re going to need to figure out how to transition him as smoothly as possible and hopefully not disrupt everything in our lives. Wish us luck!
4. Try new things. We have been seriously slacking on exploring new places in and around Austin, and there are so many amazing things to be done with kids in our area. We took Jackson to the children’s museum over spring break and he absolutely adored it, so I want to do a lot more stuff like that this summer. He’s really at an age where he can enjoy a lot bigger range of activities, so I want to capitalize on all of the fun we could have!
5. Soak up every second. As I’ve been reading through Hands Free Mama one thing that has really hit me hard is how much I want to be better about really embracing every moment and taking a slower approach to my days. I don’t want to spend my time wishing away this phase of life or complaining about where we’re at, I want to spend the time enjoying every second and really truly being present in everything I do. This summer is a perfect time to focus in on that goal and hopefully it will carry over into my everyday life.
I am so excited for all of the possibility the next few months hold – everything is way more fun now that we have Jackson and it just keeps getting better as he gets older…so I know the summer will be no exception!
What are your plans for the summer months?