Cleaning House

Y’all, I’m so excited to share this. So! Excited!

Let’s just jump right in – because, really, I can’t wait any longer.

Mmmmm. Yeah, that’s my dining room. I’m in love.

But, let’s back up for a second.

We haven’t been doing much (or, anything) to the house lately. We’re trying to take care of some debt and get a few things in order before we take on any more house projects, so things have more or less been on hold around here. But. We had a few things brewing that added up to disaster. I’ll let you guess. We had…

– Decade-old (at least) carpet.
– Three dogs
– A doggy door
– A backyard. With dirt.
– Rain
– A baby who is getting ready to learn how to crawl.

Do you know what happens when you add all of those ingredients together? You know what, don’t guess, I’ll just tell you.

Yeah, that happens.

And I can tell you with certainty that it was much worse in person than it looks in these photos. It was awful. We’ve always dealt with this when it rains, because the dogs love to track in mud; but it’s never been more annoying than now, when we have a baby who loves to spend time hanging out on the floor. We’ve tried all sorts of things but nothing we could do really kept the carpet clean enough (and honestly, who has the energy to clean three sets of dog paws every single time they go outside?) and I finally reached the end of my rope. Corey and I talked about it and decided that there was really no good reason for us to wait.

We happened to have the money to take care of the floor (which doesn’t happen often!) so we decided to jump in and go for it. In the end, it’s totally worth it to delay getting rid of our debt by a few months if it means we get to enjoy this floor in the meantime.

This is the same flooring we used in Jackson’s room – just plain old vinyl plank flooring. Peel and stick, y’all. And I love it. It’s durable, it’s easy to lay down, and I don’t have to stress when the dogs scratch it up because it’s cheap. And it looks fantastic, to boot.

I won’t detail the process (because I already did that here), but I will add that it was slightly different than it was upstairs, since we have concrete subfloors down here. It just meant a little more cleaning/sanding and we had to fill in some holes from the carpet tacks, but other than that it was the same basic idea!

(Jack was a great helper!)

And now?

I don’t have to stress about nasty, stained, smelly carpet in my dining room. My living room, unfortunately, is still a carpeted mess, but we’ll be fixing that in the next few weeks! Getting the dining room done just made me that much more excited to get the living room done too, and I can’t wait to get started. And now, I don’t have to worry if I want to put Jackson down on the floor for a bit – it may not be quite as soft underneath him, but I’m actually able to keep it clean and we can always get a rug. It’s the best feeling ever to actually have my house look a little cleaner on a daily basis without any extra effort – that carpet just looked nasty!

Anyone else do any flooring updates lately? Please tell me we aren’t the only ones with completely nasty carpet!

1. Corinne says:

WOW! That looks great! I have to admit, after your first post about the vinyl plank flooring, I’ve been looking into it myself for my entire upstairs living area. The current carpet definitely rivals yours! It’s the original carpet….from when the house was built in 1991. The people I bought the house from let their tiny little dog take care of its business EVERYWHERE inside and did a poor job cleaning up after their dog…..which meant when I moved in four years ago, my little dog was able to smell it and would then do her business over it before I could catch her. Potty training Min Pins is hard enough without that problem! My questionable carpet when from bad to worse pretty fast! Can’t wait to change things up like you did!

Ugh, I feel you! Dirty carpet is the WORST. I hope you’re able to take care of yours soon!

2. Kary says:

That looks amazing! We have 3 large dogs and a 13 month old so that might work for us too, what brand/color did you use? We have the laminate wood flooring now but it’s starting to look scratched up and is so hard to keep clean. How do you clean yours?

Thanks! It’s Style Selections brand from Lowe’s – the box doesn’t have the color name, but if I remember right it’s Antique Woodland Oak. I am able to keep mine pretty clean with a quick sweep every other day or so, and then I mop using Mrs. Meyer’s cleaner once a week (or more, if it’s been a muddy week!) I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how clean they look, even if I miss a few days of cleaning.

3. missamysmiles says:

It looks absolutely amazing!

We just bought our first home in December, and it had nasty nasty nasty carpet throughout the whole house. It’s one thing if the nasty carpet is because of you and your family, and another when it dates to the 1970s and other people’s nasty. So… it had to go before we moved in.

We got laminate flooring that actually looks very similar to yours, and did the whole don’t pay thing with Home Depot (which we just paid off this month – yippee!).

The one thing that I will warn you about… since I also have a dog, is that that colour of flooring shows dirt really quick. It’s a constant battle to keep it looking clean. We have to sweep 2 times a day to keep up with it, and it still looks messy 5 minutes later. Every time I go to complain though, I think about living with carpets previously and am thankful that I can see the dirt and hair versus it living deep in nasty nasty carpetville!

Thank you! Congrats on getting yours paid off! I was worried about ours looking dirty too. We’ve been pretty pleasantly surprised so far with it looking pretty clean, though. Most of what gets tracked into our house is dirt so it just blends right in…but I walk around barefoot a lot and get very bothered by dirty floors on my feet, and these floors bother me less than the laminate in the kitchen! I’ve found as long as I sweep every other day or so, it stays pretty clean.

4. Susan says:

Love the high chair! Brand?

It’s the Blames high chair from Ikea!

Susan Reply:

Oh awesome! Love the pop of red it adds to the room. Did you custom make the high chair cushions?

That’s from Ikea as well! It’s inflatable so you can adjust it to whatever size you need, and it was only $5! :)

5. Sarah says:

We did this same thing about 18 months ago — put down laminate and got rid of out nasty living room carpet — when my daughter was 5 months old. It’s sooooo much nicer. You are going to love it more and more!

6. Violet Colindale says:

Oh, I do know from personal experience how hard it is to maintain the perfect condition of a carpet. Especially if you have pets. And if you have 3 dogs and a baby it is hard to find time even to wash your hair not to mention the cleaning. So I think you did the right thing at the right time.

7. Andrea says:

What a difference!! I think if anyone has pets, if you can afford it carpets have to go! There are exceptions however, my mother recently removed all their carpet and put in wood flooring and their pet bunny won’t put a paw on it.They have to lay out a path of rugs so he can get around the house and feel safe:). I have to add I never would have known your flooring was laminate:).