Date Nights With Baby

I’ll be honest – Jackson is two months old and Corey and I have yet to go on an actual date since he was born.

Those of you with kids probably understand this. It’s almost impossible to find time to go anywhere without him, and quite frankly we aren’t super interested in leaving him alone with anyone else just yet. We’re hoping to go on a real date at some point this month, but over the past two months we have found other ways to set aside time for one another, and in the process we created a new tradition that we are kind of obsessed with.

Game night.

Corey and I have tried to have weekly at-home date nights for as long as we have been married, but over the last year or so they had kind of fallen off our radar. It wasn’t a big deal because we had plenty of time together, and never really felt like we were missing out. But! When Jackson came along we very quickly realized that we needed to start setting aside some specific time for one another again, and thus game nights were born.

Every Tuesday evening Corey grabs a Papa Murphy’s pizza and we eat that while we play some games. We don’t watch television, we don’t zone out at our computers – we just have some good quality time together. It’s a super fun way for us to connect and it’s way more fun than just watching television like we do most other nights.

We’ve gotten really into board games now, and are always on the lookout for new ones. We’ve learned some really unique games and have been introducing them to people we know so we now have lots of friends that will play with us! I still think that 1:1 dates that actually involve leaving the house are important (and our goal is to have at least one a month, starting this month!) but this is such a perfect way to connect a little more at home, and we’re hoping to keep it a tradition even as Jackson gets older. In a few years we’ll probably be playing Candy Land instead of our current repertoire, but we already get excited thinking about teaching Jackson all of our favorite games and having this as a tradition for the long haul.

How do you stay connected with your significant other when things get crazy?

1. Francez says:

We love game night! I like that we can disconnect from technology for a while. We’ve discovered some really good games most of which are cooperative play. Escape: Curse of the Temple is one of my favorite since it’s easy and very quick. We also enjoy Pandemic though it takes a more than an hour to finish.

Pandemic is so fun! We also like Forbidden Island. Same basic concept, slightly different play.

2. Debbie says:

Yard sales are board game discount heaven! I have a TON but never pay more than a few bucks per game. Quarto is one of my favorites for two people. You should try it!

3. Mands @ Rhody Life says:

I love Catan! You should try the expansion packs, too. Another good one is Carcassone! What are some of the other ones you guys like? It seems like we have pretty similar taste, at least in Catan!

We just got the two-person Catan and tried it yesterday. It was fun! Corey is dying for all of the expansions, haha. We love Carcassone! My current favorites are Ticket to Ride, Munchkin, and Alhambra. We have SO many favorites though!

4. Paula says:

We really need to do something regularly. We’re so busy, and have only gone out on a date once in the last 7 months! It’s crazy! We have tons of people that would watch him if we wanted to go out, but we’re always doing something so I wish I could just stay in. This seems like something we could totally try doing!

5. Kari says:

Nerdy question: How do you play Settlers with just two players?

We really like to play Ticket to Ride which is similar to Settlers and Monopoly Deal. We maybe kept a running total for a year of MD games.

Technically you don’t haha. They sell a two-person card version which was really fun. It has most of the same mechanics but is a little different. We’ve also thought about just each taking two colors and playing the normal game that way.

We love Ticket to Ride!

6. Chelsey says:

Carcassone, Arkham Horror, and Ghost Stories are three of my favorites right now! This Saturday is International TableTop Day. Any plans to celebrate?

Arkham Horror is on our to-buy list! We just played Betrayal at House on the Hill this past weekend and it’s my new favorite game ever.

We don’t have official plans yet but I may talk Corey into going to our favorite game store – they’re having an event.

7. Mel says:

Munchkin is one of our faves, but not for two people. We love Dominion (and all the expansions) for a really fun 2 person game. We’ve shared with many friends and they’ve all gone out to buy one (or more) expansions.

Munchkin is definitely better with more people! We’ll have to look into Dominion. I had no idea so many of y’all were into gaming! I think I’m going to have to make a separate post soon so we can all share favorites!

8. Stephanie says:

I love this idea! Truth be told, we are just now starting to venture out on date nights sans kiddos on a regular basis. I do not recommend waiting that long. I think we are going to try this “no tv, no computer, no zoning out” thing at our house very soon!