I’ve been thinking a lot lately about what makes me happy. Becoming a parent has been such an earth-shattering, perspective-changing experience for me (isn’t it for everyone?) and it has caused me to really take a step back and look at how I spend my time versus how I want to spend my time.
There’s nothing like a tiny little human in your house to make you wonder if you’re living your life to the fullest potential.
This was already on my mind, and then I saw this post on Dooce where she talks about making a list of things that keep her grounded and make her happy. Things she wants to do more. And that got me thinking…about those moments in life where I want to just stop time and bask in how happy I am forever. The times that make my heart happy when I think about them.
Those are the things I want to do more of. Those are the things I need to be focusing on, and trying to increase in my day-to-day life. So, I decided to write my list down…and I’m committing to doing more of these things. I’m going to make a conscious effort to do these on a regular basis…I may even print the list out and tape it on my mirror. Because it’s easy to forget the things that make you happy sometimes.
1. Listening to music and dancing in my kitchen
2. Going for long walks
3. Trying new things/places
4. Taking pleasure in the little things
5. Cuddles with Corey and Jackson
6. Spending time outside when the weather is perfect
7. Opening the windows and letting the breeze in
8. Turning off the television, putting away my phone/laptop, and truly being present
9. Playing games with friends
10. Spending time with my sister
11. Making our house beautiful
12. Working on projects, stretching my creativity
13. Singing at the top of my lungs in the car
14. Taking photos – not just of our house, but of our life
15. Watching Jackson do anything
What would be on your list?