Day in the Life of a New Mom

I’m a sucker for a good “day in the life” post. I can’t be the only one, right? My days have looked so different from normal since we had Jackson and I am on maternity leave – I wanted to preserve one day in photos and descriptions, because these days are short and fleeting and it won’t be long before I am back at work and I never want to forget these precious early days with our son.


5:50 – Corey gives me a kiss as he heads out the door for work. I’m still in bed and I cross my fingers that Jackson will let me sleep a while longer.

6:15 – Jack is up. I head into his room and settle in to feed him. Corey calls me when he gets to work and we chat for a few minutes.

6:40 – I’m done feeding and burping Jackson, and I’m wide awake. He only woke up one time last night, at 2:30, so I’m actually feeling pretty well rested. He seems to be asleep again, so I lay him back down and head back to bed to do some reading.

6:50 – He’s definitely not asleep. I go to get him and find a happy, smiley baby (smiles are still rare at this point, so it’s a treat!). I decide to take a shower and drag his Rock ‘n Play into the bathroom with me so I can keep an eye on him.

7:30 – Jackson was in a good mood so I was able to take a long shower and actually get ready for the day. I even trimmed my bangs! It’s time to get him dressed so we head to his room and I try to find something that fits. He is at a weird in-between phase where newborn clothes are almost too small but most 0-3 are still huge. I settle on a newborn outfit just as he runs out of patience and starts screaming.

I manage to calm him down by holding him close, dancing around the room like a fool, and singing loudly. He’s happy again and since it’s Friday, I decide to go ahead and take his weekly photo. I’m hoping for a smile in the photo this week, but he isn’t cooperating. I give up once he starts to get fussy and decide to try again later. We head downstairs.

(One of our outtakes)

7:45 – I want to eat breakfast, but Jack is feeling clingy. He cries in his bouncer while I throw together a bagel, then I grab him and head to the couch to eat. I get about half my breakfast down before he’s screaming again, and the only thing that makes him happy is if I bounce him with one arm and hold his pacifier with the other. No breakfast for me! I don’t mind too much, because I love cuddling with him on the couch – I turn on an episode of Breaking Bad that I didn’t finish yesterday and try to calm him down.

8:20 – My show is over and Jack is dozing so I decide to try to put him down for a nap. I take him upstairs and swaddle him, then I nurse him hoping he’ll fall asleep. I think he’s going through a growth spurt (or a Wonder Week) because our nursing sessions have gotten ridiculously long – I’m sitting with him for over 30 minutes before he decides he is full.

9:00 – He’s finished eating and is officially passed out, so I carefully lay him down in the crib and hope he stays asleep. He’s been sleeping mostly in his Rock ‘n Play due to his reflux, but we’re working on getting him back into the crib as soon as possible since some people claim there’s a connection between the Rock ‘n Play and flat spots. Who knows if it’s true, but we’d rather be safe than sorry! Luckily, he’s asleep enough that he’s fine in the crib and I’m able to leave him there.

I head downstairs and fly into action. I usually have about two hours for this nap, sometimes two and a half if he’s tired (I don’t usually let him sleep longer than that, or else he doesn’t sleep well at night), so I decide to get some cleaning done. I throw some clothes in the laundry, clean the kitchen, vacuum, and just generally try to get the house back in order.

9:50 – I’m done cleaning and he’s still asleep. Score! I settle in at the dining room table to get some stuff done. I do a bit of blogging, then I work on prepping a meal plan for next week and a few other boring budget-y things. I quickly cross stuff off my list and keep an ear open for the monitor – Jackson is a super noisy sleeper, so he frequently grunts or cries out, only to fall right back asleep.

11:15 – My sister is coming over to hang out soon, and he’s been asleep for over two hours so I decide to go wake Jackson up. He’s adorable and cuddly, and I feed him in his room before my sister arrives.

11:45 – My sister gets here just as we are finishing up. We all head downstairs and she holds him while I make myself lunch (I get to eat! With two hands!) and then we hang out for a while. We watch Vampire Diaries and the Melissa McCarthy episode of SNL and chat while she snuggles and plays with Jack. By the end of her visit is it clear that he’s fighting sleep hardbut he seems to hate the second nap of the day for some reason.

2:00 – My sister has to go run errands before her kids get off school, so she heads out. Jackson and I go upstairs for a marathon nursing session (I think he was avoiding that nap…) before he finally falls asleep.

3:00 – We’re finally done, and I lay him in his crib. His eyes immediately pop open and he starts grunting at me. I can tell he’s on the verge of falling asleep, though, and he desperately needs this nap, so I head downstairs and keep my ears open for the monitor as he grunts away and continues to fight the nap.

3:15 – After puttering around downstairs a little bit, I run upstairs to put away some laundry and check on Jackson. He’s sound asleep, so I go back downstairs to relax a bit. I watch another episode of Breaking Bad, make a grocery list, and browse Pinterest for a while. I kind of miss him and want to go grab him to cuddle while I’m being lazy, but I resist since we’ve worked so hard to get him napping in the crib.

4:40 – Corey’s going to be home soon, so I set out some shrimp to thaw for dinner. I debate waking Jack up now but decide to let Corey get him when he gets home, since he never gets to.

5:15 – Corey is home! We spend a few minutes chatting on the couch before he goes upstairs to wake Jackson up.

5:30 – Corey feeds Jackson a bottle while I pump. We are trying to keep him comfortable with a bottle and build a freezer stash for daycare, so we try to do this at least once a day. Jack does well with the bottle, and Corey enjoys getting to feed him so it’s a good routine for everyone!

6:00 – Jackson finishes eating and we all go into the kitchen to get ready for dinner. Corey cooks tonight while I hold Jackson and he tells me about his day. We haven’t cooked much since Jackson came home, so it feels good to all be in the kitchen together!

6:30 – Our dinner is ready. We typically eat in the dining room, but we decide to eat on the couch tonight. Jack hangs out in his bouncer long enough for us to eat, and we start an episode of Friday Night Lights (we recently became hooked).

6:50 – We’re done eating and Jackson’s witching hour is in full swing. He is grumpy, so we keep watching television and do our best to keep him happy. We keep trying various combinations of things until I finally get him settled with a pacifier, snuggles, and patting his back. Soon, he soon begins to doze.

7:45 – We are done watching our show (we had a few interruptions), and it’s time for Jackson to go to bed. We head upstairs, and I nurse Jackson while Corey hangs out and chats with me. We go through our evening routine of nursing, diaper change and swaddle, and prayers before bed. We skip the book tonight because Jack is already asleep.

8:30 – We lay Jackson in his Rock ‘n Play and head to our room. We watch one more episode of Friday Night Lights in bed before passing out shortly after 9:00. On a Friday night. We are such party animals!

I love our quiet, snuggly days at home right now, and I’m dreading the day that I have to go back to work and give them up until summer. I’m also excited for the days when Jackson is awake a little more during the day and we can be a little more interactive! I only have one week left at home, so I’ll be soaking up every second before I (reluctantly) head back to work on Monday. I’m interested to see how much everything changes once I’m working again, and I’m hoping we’re able to find a new routine that works for us and that I don’t miss out on too much cuddle time with our sweet boy!

What does a day in your life look like right now?

6 thoughts on “Day in the Life of a New Mom

  1. Hello! Looks like a fun day :) I know how amazing and exhausting it is all at once. My daughter is 8 months old today, how fast the time flies! My daughter hated her crib too until she was about 5 months old, so I held her for almost ever nap she took until then. Now she doesn’t fall asleep in my arms, so enjoy it while it lasts. Also, those marathon nursing sessions are good for both of you. He is establishing your supply and I’m sure nursing/sucking for comfort as well. It can be tiring, but it won’t last long. Soon his feedings will be more stretched out. One suggestion to help getting him down for naps, is to have him nap more often. At 2 months old, he should only have about 1 hour of wake time between naps, and as many as 4 naps a day. This helped me get my daughter to sleep much easier, because we avoided over-tiredness (which makes getting to sleep much harder). Look for early sleepy signs (staring into space, quieting, eye rubs) if you see yawns chances are you have already entered over-tired territory. He’s still at the age where sleep begets sleep. This chart really helped me and still does:

    Good luck mama! You are doing a wonderful job, you son is so cute!


    Ell Reply:

    Amanda – Its very important that you realize early on that there is NO “one way” to parent and ALL children are different. They do not follow a schedule, and there is no “rule” about how often they should nap. I believe Christina was coming from a good place with her suggestion, but I hope you see all “advice” as ideas, or things that have worked for others, and do not feel pressured. Jackson will help you figure it all out :) he is the only one whose cues you need to follow.


    Amanda Reply:

    That’s awesome advice, thanks for that! :)


    Amanda Reply:

    Great thoughts! We definitely follow Jack’s cues on nap time – he typically just takes two longer naps and a few small cat naps during the day, but he makes up for it by sleeping great at night!


Leave a Reply