What I’ve Read

For those of you who have been around awhile, you know that I’m working on reading 100 books for my 101 in 1,001 challenge. So far, we’re 495 days in (almost halfway!) and I’m at 63 books, so I’m well on my way to finishing up early.

I’ve read a ton of good books in the last few months, so today I thought I’d do a quick list of all the books I’ve read so far this year – I’m always looking for good book lists, so hopefully this will interest someone!

So, here’s what I’ve read from January through May:

11. Walking Disaster – Jamie McGuire

12. Never Let Me Go – Kazuo Ishiguro

13. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest – Ken Kesey

14: Someday, Someday, Maybe – Lauren Graham

15: Dead Ever After – Charlaine Harris

16: The Truth-Teller’s Lie – Sophie Hannah

So far I think the best one I’ve read this year has been the most recent one – The Truth Teller’s Lie. It was not what I expected it to be, and it was one of those books that you just can’t put down. The worst? Twins. Don’t even know how it ended up on my Kindle, but it was quite possibly the worst book I’ve ever read in my life…the only reason I even finished it is because I have a strange, overwhelming compulsion to finish every book I start, no matter how much I hate it.

Other than that one book, though, I’d definitely recommend all of the books I’ve read so far this year! As you can see, my taste in books varies pretty greatly, with a slight emphasis on cheesy young adult novels. What can I say? I do enough thinking during the day at work – I like to indulge a little when I’m reading!

What have you been reading lately? I’m always looking for recommendations!

1. Allie says:

Adding Truth-Teller’s Lie to my list! Hmm, recent ones I’ve read that you might like: “Perks of Being a Wallflower” by Stephen Chbosky and “The Fault in Our Stars” by John Green. Both kind of skew YA, but both were very good!

I love Perks of Being a Wallflower! I read that one in high school and I’ve been in love with it ever since. I haven’t heard of the other, though – I’ll have to look for it!

2. Corinne says:

Sandi’s recommendation of Gone Girl is definitely a good one! I really enjoyed that book.

I’m currently reading The Casual Vacancy (the adult book by JK Rowling) and am enjoying it so far.

I definitely have to recommend the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon though. She’s a wonderful, captivating writer, and the combination of historical fiction, supernatural/science fiction, and romance is amazing. I also love a writer who forces me to pull out a dictionary every once in awhile, when I can’t figure out a word’s meaning via context. You can start with the second book in the series, Dragonfly In Amber, but I enjoyed the first book, Outlander. Really you can start with ANY of the seven books in the series, but I like to start such things from the very beginning! The books are loooooong but I love them!

Thanks! I loved Gone Girl, and I’ve been wanting to reading the JK Rowling book! Haven’t heard of the Outlander series – I’ll look for it!

3. Brooke says:

Personally I was not an Outlander fan, mostly because nearly every book has a rape scene and I try to keep sexual violence out of my reading material when I can. I really enjoyed Ruby Red and Sapphire Blue, it’s the beginning of a series about time traveling teens. Lots of fun. Then there’s always the Sookie Stackhouse novels, just finished up the very last one when it was released last month. I think you’ve got some great goals!

LOVE the Sookie Stackhouse books! I just finished the last one too!

4. Eve says:

Amanda-I’m dying to hear how the Lauren Graham book was!!! I’m a diehard Gilmore Girls fan (and also love Parenthood), so I’d buy it based on her writing it alone….but if it was an epic fail, I’ll probably take a pass. Thanks!

It was good!! Nothing earth-shattering, but I have loved Lauren Graham since Gilmore Girls as well, so I was excited to read it. I definitely enjoyed it!

5. Anna says:

I really enjoyed The Tomorrow Series by John Marsden. They’re old, like 1993-old, but I just like the characters in the books. Started it on the kindle and now I can’t wait for the last book to be published for the kindle – though I could just buy the paperback version but, you know, one lone book standing on the shelves while the others are on the kindle – that’s weird.
    I loved Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick. It seems similar to Divergent/Insurgent from what I heard about those. I read it in German, though (I’m no native English speaker).
    And Amanda, you just made my amazon wish list sooo much longer, thanks for it!

6. Brianne says:

If you liked Gone Girl, you should read her other two books as well. Also, I recommend the Gregor the Overlander series by Suzanne Collins of the Hunger Games fame. It’s more pre-teen than YA so you can read a book in an afternoon.

Have you read “The Book Thief”? It’s very mature for a YA novel.

7. Jamie says:

Try the Jessica Darling series by Megan McCafferty. It’s a five-book series right now, but a prequel is coming very soon, later this summer I think! Jessica is in high school in the first book, but don’t let that turn you off — she’s 25 by the end of the series. :)

8. kjpugs says:

I’ve loved most of my recent reads, ESPECIALLY Rules of Civility by Amor Towles. Really liked Gone Girl and The Year of the Gadfly, and liked The Night Circus. That’s about all I’ve got :)

9. Katie says:

I just finished One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus and Black Heels to Tractor Wheels by Ree Drummond (don’t know why it took me so long to get around to The Pioneer Woman’s book!) – loved them both! I’m dying to read the new Dan Brown book…I’m on the waiting list for it at my library and I hope it doesn’t take forever…

10. Jen says:

I’m new to your blog and am reading through, catching up (love your blog!) and I saw your list that mentioned Lauren Graham’s book. I had NO IDEA she had written a book! I’m going to go out today and pick up a copy…all thanks to you!