In the spirit of the holiday coming up (ahh! Tomorrow is Thanksgiving!), I thought I’d spend a few minutes today chatting about the things that Corey and I are oh so grateful to have in our lives. We’ve had a difficult year in a lot of different aspects, but things are looking up for us right now and we have a lot to be thankful for.
Let’s dive right in, shall we?
– Corey’s job: This year has been rough on Corey in the career department. I haven’t talked much about it, but at this time last year Corey was a realtor, and for a lot of different reasons that just didn’t work out. It’s a bad time to be in the real estate market, and Corey had an awful experience or two that led him to realize that many people don’t value the time and effort real estate agents put into their work – and he also got to realize how easy it is for clients to completely screw you over as a real estate agent. It was a really tough time, and in the end we had to make the difficult decision that real estate probably wasn’t the right career for him. So what’s he doing now? Well, I’m proud to say he was just hired (like, last week) as a 7th and 8th grade math teacher! He’s worked so hard throughout this year to get to this point, and I’m so incredibly happy for him and proud of the effort he’s put into it. And we are both so, so thankful that he now has a career that he loves.
– Our wonderful little family
(This was an attempt at a Christmas card photo a few weeks ago…the dogs were a bit…distracted.)
Corey and I may not have kids yet but our sweet puppies are like our children (laugh all you want, but it’s true!) and we are constantly saying how thankful we are to have such wonderful dogs and such a fun little family. I love nothing better than the Saturday mornings we spend laying in bed and cuddling with the dogs, or watching them running around the backyard. It’s absolutely fabulous, and I’m so grateful we all have each other.
– My new car! Corey and I didn’t think we were going to be able to replace my awful old Jimmy quite as quickly as we were able to, and we’re so grateful to have a car that, you know, WORKS. It’s fabulous. And it’s super cute to boot! Oh, and we finally named her – Dinah. I’ve always sworn up and down I would one day own a cat named Dinah (after the cat in Alice in Wonderland), but since we got Hadley and it looks like there won’t be any kittens in my immediate future, I decided a car named Dinah was just as good.
– The holidays: I know that’s a bit of a strange one, but you guys don’t even understand how obsessed I am with the entire Christmas season. I’ve been thinking about it since September-ish, and I am SO EXCITED that it’s coming. This time of year is so magical, and I absolutely love getting to spend some extra time with the family, and just the general warm fuzzy feeling I get for the entire month of December. Love, love, love.
– Nightly rituals: Corey and I are creatures of habit. We are big on traditions and rituals, and our day to day life doesn’t really vary much. We love that. One of my favorite little rituals that we currently have every night? Cuddling up in bed and watching Doctor Who before we go to sleep. I look forward to it every single night, and I’m typically excited to go to bed because I know a fun adventure with The Doctor is waiting for us. Love. It.
Rose will ALWAYS be the best Who girl. No one can compare.
– Teacher schedules: It just recently hit us that Corey and I are both teachers now, which means we will forever have summers, spring break, and extended Christmas breaks together with no work and no obligations. We’re so incredibly excited about how wonderful that will be – especially in the future when we have kids and a bit more money to travel in the summers. We’re so thankful that things worked out like this, and we can’t wait to spend our first extended break together next month when Christmas rolls around!
– Our home: It’s a bit of an obvious one, but we are SO thankful to have such a beautiful home that we love so much. It’s been so much fun to work on it over the past year and watch as it slowly starts to transform from builder-grade-eighties-style into something that we truly feel at home in. We are both head over heels in love with our home, and we’re so grateful to have found such a perfect house in such a perfect neighborhood for us – it’s so nice to be so close to my sister and her family, and our little area is growing quickly and we keep getting more new and exciting things around us. It will be fun to watch our little side of town grow and develop over the next few years!
– The little things: I talked a bit about this on Friday, but there are so many little things in our life that make me smile on a daily basis. Things like the zoo of ceramic animals we have floating around our house, the daily tradition Corey and I have of playing along with a game on the morning show we both listen to every morning and calling one another to compare how we did, the silly little things my students say every day that make me laugh, the glass of wine I pour for myself when I’ve had a rough day at work…there are so many small, seemingly insignificant things throughout my day that make it a little bit better, and they all add up to something pretty wonderful.
– YOU!!!!! Cheesy, I know, but seriously – you guys are the reason I keep doing this. I absolutely love blogging, but it’s not very much fun if you feel like you’re blogging to no one. It’s so motivating and wonderful to know that I have my own little corner of the internet that y’all actually choose to come back to on a regular basis. It’s a bit mind-boggling to me that I actually have people who care enough about my little ramblings to keep coming back day after day, and I’m so thankful that I have y’all in my life. I consider each and every one of you a friend, and you’re basically all the best friends in the whole world. So thank you for being so incredibly amazing.
What are you thankful for this year?