Home Sweet Home

Way back in November when I was completing the Interior Design Bingo challenge, I mentioned that I wanted to use this frame from our wedding to add some art to our upstairs hallway.

diy art

Well, I said that, and then the frame just sat there. Like, in that exact spot. For months. I thought that leaving it sitting there might encourage me to, you know, do something about it, but apparently I’m really good at ignoring my own subtle reminders to get stuff done.

But since February was the month of cleaning, organizing, and getting stuff done, I decided a couple of weeks ago that it was high time I got this frame off the floor and onto the wall – and actually filled with some art.

I took some thin wood that was leftover from some sort of packaging (I honestly don’t remember how we got it – I just know we had it lying around and I figured it would be perfect) and painted it with some leftover white paint. Then, since I’m such an expert at painting stripes now, I painted on some very light gray stripes.

Then came the fun part – my sister helped me use a Cricut to cut out some pretty vinyl lettering, and I added it to the striped background. Instant art. And now, instead of a blank gray wall when you come up the stairs, you see this:

I love how it turned out, and it’s so nice to have something other than a blank wall to look at when we come up the stairs. This little hallway is pretty dark and boring, so anything that we can add to it to spruce it up a little will make a huge impact.

Plus, it’s always nice to have a nice little reminder to relax, settle in, and enjoy being at home.

diy art

And what’s even better, finishing up this project means that I get to cross off the first item on my 101 in 1,001 list, “create a piece of art I’m proud to display in our home”. And we all know how much I love getting to cross stuff off lists!

diy art

Have you ever created any art for your home? I think I might be addicted now!

I’m also linking up this project to Addicted 2 Decorating, It’s Overflowing and Remodelaholic

1. Lyndsey says:

It looks so good!! and i’m so impressed you actually did it!! I’m having similar motivational problems right now. I have been planning a frame wall for MONTHS and actually spray painted a bunch of frames in like… September maybe? A long time ago regardless. But they’ve been hiding behind the bench in our great room ever since because I can’t figure out what to put in them/how many more i need/ how to hang some of them that don’t have hangers. Ridiculous!

It’s so hard to get motivated sometimes, isn’t it?!

2. Sandi says:

It couldn’t be more perfect! Love the color and your personality really comes through this piece. More! More!

Thanks!! I think I used up all of my creativity on this one, but hopefully I’ll think of something else soon haha.

Lauren Reply:

Amanda, I do a lot with canvases and patterned stencils. Then if you want to add some extra dimension, you can use chip board lettering or shapes. They look like wood when painted. Its easy to do in a variety of sizes, relatively cheap, and only takes an hour (less if you use small canvases). No special skills or creativity required.

3. Jess says:

OMG! I LOOOOOVE this project. It turned out great Amanda! I like to paint, so we have several of my oils and acrylics hanging throughout the house. My favorite is a huge, 4 panel floral piece that hangs above the couch in the living room. Granted, I’ve only completed 3 of the 4 panels…..and the 4th one is 1/4 finished….and has been sitting unfinished for about, I don’t know, 2 years—but I’m still really proud of the other three, lol. The best complements are from people who can’t believe that I did it myself and didn’t just buy it somewhere. I’m sure people are going to say the same about your work too! It looks really professional. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy my home-made art

Thank you!! I wish I could paint! I’m awful – totally jealous of your skillz! :)

4. Victoria says:

I love this!!! I bought a cricut and have vinyl and have NO IDEA how to use the thing. :( haha tell your sis to post a tutorial!

I actually have one and need to figure out how the hell to use it. I promise a tutorial once I figure it out!! :)

5. Lisa says:

This is beautiful, what color did you paint your walls? I’ve been looking for a gray with a touch of violet. Love this!

Thank you! The gray is Olympic’s brand, and the color is Flagstone. You can see more (and better-lit) photos of the color if you look on the “House Tour” page under living room – it’s painted the same color! :)

6. Andrea Crilly says:

This piece alone would enhance an empty, even unstaged home quite a bit. Just imagine it hanging in the entrance of the right place that allows lots of light. I think the color combination is great!

7. Kathleen says:

So cute!! What color grey paint is on the walls in this hallway?? I’m loving that, too!

Thanks! The color is Olympic brand and it’s called Flagstone! :)

8. Cate says:

Do you know what color of yellow vinyl that is?? I have a Silhouette Cameo and I have been wanting a yellow but im not sure on the exact shade. Love what you did with the frame!!

I don’t think it’s a specific yellow – just the brightest, cheeriest one I could find! :)

9. Brooke says:

I know this was a long Time ago but do you remember the font cartridge you used to cut out “sweet”?

It’s actually a word art from the Paisley cartridge. Hope that helps!