New House, New Furniture

Corey and I have known for a long time that there were several pieces of furniture we wanted to replace once we moved here. A lot of our furniture pieces were sized for a tiny little duplex, and they look a bit silly now that we have a much larger house.

We have plans to replace pieces and buy new things over the next several years, but there were a couple of pieces we wanted to replace right away.

First up? Our couch.

Corey bought this couch/seat-and-a-half set when he first moved into his own apartment. It was insanely comfortable, but not at all easy to maintain. The white microsuede latched onto Ranger’s fur and wouldn’t let go, and every little piece of dirt was highly visible.

So, on our way to the new house Corey and my dad pulled the UHaul into Ikea to pick up our brand new Karlstad couch.

And we’re in love.

The scale of this couch fits this room much better than the old couch would have, and we love how much space there is for us to spread out. The dark color is perfect for hiding dog hair and dirt, and the material doesn’t hold onto things quite as much as the microsuede did. Of course, with such a large couch we’re now in desperate need of a few more throw pillows so it doesn’t look quite so empty, but we’ll get there eventually. For now, we’re just happy that the whole family can all fit on the couch at once without feeling like we’re all on top of each other.

And even though Corey says it’s not as comfortable as the old couch and Cullen is annoyed that he can’t lay on the back of it like he used to, I’m pretty sure they both think it’s good enough.

The other piece of furniture that we’ve recently replaced is our dresser. The old dresser we had in our room was an Ikea dresser that I bought when I first moved out of my parents house, and even though we both loved it, the style and color just weren’t going to cut it in our new, peacock blue bedroom.

We managed to snag a gorgeous, mid-century modern dresser set on Craigslist (where else?!) for an incredible price, and now we each have our own dresser that fits in perfectly with our room!

We still need to hang the mirror above the long dresser, but we’re incredibly happy with these dressers that we found, and I love how the color of the wood looks against our blue walls.

I have a feeling that these two new pieces are going to be enough to satisfy our furniture-replacing urges for quite a while. We feel like we chose pieces that we aren’t going to get tired of anytime soon, and I can see those dressers being handed down in our family someday! They’re already over 50 years old, so I think they’d make for a great family heirloom.

Do you have any pieces of furniture in your house that you’d love to replace? Or, do you have any that you want to see stay in your family for a long, long time?

1. Melissa says:

Nice choices, the dresser set looks amazing! We had a ton of hand-me-down furniture when we moved in, which was great, but we definitely have upgraded a few. The couch was the big one for us, too. It’s definitely nice when everyone can fit together!

2. Lane says:

I’m a semi new follower! So excited for you buying your first house! We purchased a townhouse in April and 90% of our furniture is hand me down. Most of which I am fine with except our bedroom set. It doesn’t match and I hate it! I would love to get a new headboard and then try to work with our current dressers, but I don’t think thats in the cards anytime soon.

Thanks for reading! :) We’re definitely learning that we have a lot of furniture that we’re just going to have to live with for a while before we can afford to replace it, so I definitely know how you feel!

3. Mandy says:

LOVE. Seriously, I love it all. The dressers are such a gorgeous, rich color and I’ve been toying with the idea of getting that IKEA couch in the future as well!

4. Jess says:

When we moved, we threw out so much stuff, now I’m worried about replacing it all. We got rid of our couch, the dining room chairs, both of our desks, and our entire bedroom set. We also got rid of a bookshelf that I wasn’t counting on tossing because it got ruined in a sudden downpour. Did any of your stuff break/suffer damage during the move? I was really looking forward to doing my first furniture makeover on this old jewelry box I’ve had since I was 12 (one of those dresser-types) and then my brother dropped it and the back panel split in two places. Chris says we can fix it, but I’m not too hopeful. I hope all your stuff made it alright. I can’t wait to see more pictures. Everything you’ve shown is gorgeous!

We actually didn’t really have anything break! We had one little kick-knack break, but it’s barely noticeable so I’m not bothered by it. We got really lucky!

5. Michelle says:

How do you find such fab items on CL? All I ever seem to come across are overpriced heavy pine monstrosities and creepers. Ugh.

We considered the Karl sofa and I do love it but sadly PQs tastes are FAR FAR more traditional so no Ikea for us :( lame.

It’s part luck and part spending an embarrassing amount of time on there. ;-) I also do a lot of searches if I’m looking for something specific – I make sure to search for several different terms, and I usually do a search or two with intentional typos, because people aren’t usually very careful about what they type on there!

6. Amanda @ The Fix-Its says:

I’m pretty sure a picture of Corey sleeping on the sofa in his socks and undies made it to the blog. Seriously hilarious. Brian looks remarkably similar on many occasions…

Hahahaha, they’re basketball shorts, not underwear – I’m not that mean. ;-)

7. Sandi says:

I love all the new additions no one more than another. You can make new pillows for your couch if you find some fabric you simply must have. Goodness knows I have made a few myself. I have a whole section of my blog dedicated to pillows. Making a new one today in fact.

8. Kelly says:

I love your Karlstad couch– my husband and I are currently saving up to buy the same model from IKEA. Which color slipcover did you end up purchasing? I can’t tell from your photo if it is brown, grey, or navy.

Corey Reply:

We got the Sivik Dark Gray cover.

9. Lauren says:

I am envious of any and all Ikea furniture I see online. Our closest Ikea is Atlanta, and the shipping is just too much. Love that couch though!

I am all about the mid-century dressers. I just found out that I am inheriting my grandparents’ bedroom set that looks very similar! I am very excited for my next move so I can add those to my room.

I would love to at least re-do my current bedroom furniture so it suits me more. It was my first DIY with furniture, and I lost momentum. the bottom two inches of my desk just never got painted.

10. Steph says:

We just need to GET a couch. We’re currently using my old Ikea daybed as a couch.. hopefully we can get one soon after we move next month, but I foresee a few more months of the daybed :) Love your new couch, though.. it’s HUGE!!