Happy Monday, everyone! My friend, Melissa (aka Mrs. Starfish from Weddingbee), is here today to talk to y’all about one of her recent furniture renovations. I adore Melissa’s blog, and one more than one occasion have forgotten that I was visiting a “friend” blog and not a “professional” blog when I was reading! She’s got a gorgeous house with a ton of potential, and I highly recommend you checking our her blog if you haven’t already!
Hi, I’m Melissa from The Nest Chapter. I’m a big fan of Amanda’s blog and seeing all of her awesome projects has helped inspire me to finally try renovating a dresser. I’ve been planning to start this project for a while and I’m so happy I finally did it. When she asked for a guest post, I thought this would be the perfect project to share.
It all started with a hand-me-down piece of furniture. I knew I wanted to do something with it, but I wasn’t sure what. So I put it off for a really long time. When I finally started to think about renovating the dresser, I looked to blogs like this to get some tips and inspiration. I had this great dresser, but I wasn’t really sure what to do.
I knew we (my husband J and me) had to sand the wood to get off the old finish and it also helps the paint to stick. Choosing the type of paint was where I was unsure. I didn’t know if we should use regular paint or spray paint, it turns out you can use either. This worked out because we had paint left from a previous project. After a little research, J and I headed to our local hardware store for supplies.
additional foam rollers
Brush set -for details
2 Paint Trays
It took a couple hours to sand it down, mainly because we used sand paper and don’t have a fancy sander. We may reconsider this if this hobby continues.
Sanding the details was the hardest, which is why it tooks some time. Sanding a flat surface is no problem.
After we finished sanding there was dust everywhere. Luckily J used the compressor to get most of it off, then I used a damp cloth to get the rest. Once that was done, I put on two coats of primer. I used foam rollers for both the primer and the paint because it gives a smooth finish. When we painted our dining room we used a regular roller and it got little hairs/dust all over our walls. I’m now a huge fan of foam rollers, but if you know of any brands that don’t shed, I’d love to know.
Once it was all primed, I added a coat of white paint, let it dry and the dresser now has a whole new look.
Overall, I think it came out pretty good. The one issue I’m having is the drawers sticking. I used two coats of primer and a layer of paint, so the drawers don’t move easily. I should have sanded them down more. I think I can still fix it and make it work. I did chip some paint though because I was pushing too hard to get them in, so it needs a bit of touch up.